White Hall Register Newspaper

27 Nov 1869
A Bolter of flour, bolted!
Peter Tuffli absconded, leaving $60,000 of liabilities, and no assets to speak of!!!
Peter Tuffli is a miller, who some 2 yrs. since purchased the steam flouring mill in South part of this town. Peter was reputed to be wealthy at time of his advent to this town from Belleville, Ill. the place of his former residence. He bought wheat largely of our farmers and worked the same into excellent flour. It is now said that Peter would swindle a little in the matter of weight, so that our honest farmer, who might from time to time have furnished Peter with a thousand bushels or so of wheat would find, when settling day came, an unexpected “shrinkage” of the cereal to extent of hundred or more bushels. Only some of the shrewder farmers, before selling to him, took the precaution to have their wheat weighed upon scales which were without motive to answer falsely. Peter prospered and his note or bond or verbal promise to pay came to be thought “good as wheat”.
For the past 3 months, Peter has been persistently bulling the wheat market in W. H., and as it turns out, was persistently “bearing” the flour market in St. Louis and elsewhere. That is to say, Peter was buying wheat here on from 60 to 90 days time, at about 20% above the mkt., making it into flour, and selling it in St. Louis and other cities below mkt., for cash.
The latter part of this extraordinary speculation was unknown. The former part was generally understood, and rejoiced over by farmers. They said to themselves, “Tuffli is a long-headed old chap, he knows a thing or two. He’s buying for a big speculation.” They brought in their wheat gleefully, sold it to Peter, and drove off content with a 60 or 90 day promise to pay. Verily these farmers were right, Peter was “buying for speculation.” He was “long-headed”.
The speculation culminated on Wed. night. Peter’s promises to pay were maturing. Peter’s intention to evade those promises had already matured. The mill ran until 2 o’clock Thurs. morning, but Peter ran all nite! It has not yet ended. The “hopper is empty.” Its owner hath hopped away. The public have been [sic] “taken” (in) and Peter hath left. Wed. night Peter Tuffli with his family, except a son 18 yrs. old, all his employees, everything valuable and easily movable that he had, including probably from $60,000 to $75,000 in money vamosed [sic].
The ceasing of the mill and absence of Peter were noticed on Thurs. morning but excited no specific comment until between three and four P.M., there was quite a perceptible excitement on Maine St.
Law business became brisk. The Justice got out of attachment blanks, and tried to get some more printed to supply extraordinary demand; but we were to busy up here to accommodate him.
The inquiry in every man’s mouth as he met his neighbor was: How much is Tuffli into you? There was scarcely a business man in town, as the answers indicated, but had been victimised [sic]. We found one gentleman in high glee because he said “Tuffli didn’t owe him a cent. He owed Tuffli a dollar.’
The liabilities of the departed, as nearly as can be ascertained at present, are some $60,000. The bank is “in” we understand to tune of $6,000. All the grain dealers in town are victims; but their losses only figure up in hundreds. Our merchants and manufacturers all suffer in larger or smaller am’ts. The farmers all around the country will lose in varying am’ts. Many of those trading here had relied on the money due from Tuffli, to settle their acc’ts with. The injury to the general business of W.H., resulting from this stupendous and outrageous swindle, will be severe.
A meeting of the creditors is being held, probably measures will be devised to follow up Tuffli and make his disgorge, or suffer criminally for his scoundrelly trick. The only assets found, by attacking creditors, were a small quantity of flour, some coal, and an empty safe. These were, of course, seized upon.
The mill is said to be mortgaged for $10,000 to parties in Belleville. It is likely that this mortgage is a fraudulent one, intended to cover the property for Tuffli’s benefit. We hope that the creditors will resolve to test its character in the courts. More fervently do we hope that his absconding scoundrel may be caught and brought to justice.
Life Ins. agents who may have written, or may hereafter write, risks on Peter T.’s life, would do well to set down W.H. as an “extra hazardous” climate of Peter T. to venture into.
11 Mar 1871
The new High Street Church of our universalist friends have finally located their new church on the land of Edgar Griswold, Esq who gave an acre of ground just south of Judge Baldwin's homestead. The Board of Trustees and Building Committee consist of the following gentlemen: B.F. Baldwin, E.U. Baldwin, Edgar Griswold, L.P. Griswold and Major E.A. Giller. The contract for the erection of the building is let to the Misses Worcester; the lumber is already purchased and almost the entire amount of subscription obtained.
03 Jun 1871
“Lorton’s Prairie”
Near the John Benear farm is the site of the original Benj. Smith farm where he resided & sold goods before W. H. was a town. Down below is Heter’s Ford, named after Soloman Heter, now of W. H., but who resided on a farm just across from Mr. Benear’s. A little up, too, is the famous & ever to be remembered “Norwalk” where a good bridge spans the stream. This Norwalk has evident signs of antiquity and if we believed in ghosts & such, we should as soon expect to meet them about Norwalk as any place we know of.
07 Sep 1872
Murder: We had a case of murder about 5 miles N.W. of us last Sat., that has created a great deal of talk. Mr. E. Hardcastle, living on Wm. Gross’ farm, went out to his work plowing in the morning as usual. He did not come in to dinner as usual & his wife went out to hunt him & found him lying dead by his plow with 3 bullet holes in him.
It seems by evidence at coroners inquest that he was probably shot first at a distance, about 80 yds, with a rifle ball, thru’ the head. The murderer, or murderers, whoever they may be, then came up to him & fired other balls into his body. Evidence seemed to fix the crime on one George Lewis, who had been heard to threaten him with death on acc’t of certain difficulties in the past.
One Adkins, a bro-in-law of Lewis is under arrest as knowing to the facts, but whether an accomplice is not now known.
Lewis was seen Sun. morning at Florence, on the road to Meredosia, where his friends live. We hope he may be captured. Hardcastle leaves a wife & three children.
14 Sep 1872
The rumor is current today (Tues) that the murderer, Geo. Lewis was taken at Mexico, Mo. & was to come in on the Quincy (3:45 express. At Drake, it is said a large crowd was awaiting to _____ him in true Tom Conwin style.
21 Sep 1872
“The Hardcastle Murder;” Geo. Lewis, the man who killed Hardastle near Wilmington, about the first of this month was arrested in Nebraska, & is now in the Co. Jail.
30 Nov 1872
Lewis Case: Henry Roberts & G.H. Fry think Lewis guilty and should be punished to very extent of the law, for such a cowardly damnible murder, as was committed by Lewis, but they are willing that he should have a fair trial & punished according to law & evidence.
28 Jun 1873
The building of our school house will be let today, to the lowest and best bidder. It will be sufficiently capacious to accomodate 100 pupils, comfortable & attractive enough to insure good attendance; and the last, but by no means the least, we mean to employ an able instructor, other things being equal we see nothing to prevent education at this place.
May 1874

The following information was composed from information in Past and Present of Greene County (1905) and from the White Hall Register, the issues of May 2, May 16 and May 27, 1874.

Among those who came into the county at this time – 1828 – were William Halbert and his brother John. They made a home in Bluffdale Township. On Thursday night, April 30, 1874, John Halbert was murdered in his bed. A young man named Clark Evans, who it was known had called at the old gentleman’s cabin for a drink of water the evening before, was suspicioned of having committed the dastardly deed and a posse at once started in pursuit.
Amos Halbert got out a handbill, offering $500 for the arrest and conviction of Clark Evans, alias James Bridges, alias William Owens; the supposed murdered of his father, John Halbert.
The County Board held a special meeting last Monday at Carrollton to consider a reward for the murderer of John Halbert. We are opposed to paying out the County money for rewards to bring in boarders on the County, to vacate jail just before court. We want the jail to stay empty and let the Judge issue a proclamation just before the fall term calling on all criminals to come forward and answer the indictments against them! This would save expenses, and be just about a sure thing. Besides, the Halbert boys have offered $500 reward, and this, with the public interest and official pride, ought to catch the murderer, if he is to be found!
On Tuesday morning, deputy sheriff John Jones passed through White Hall on his way to the jail at Carrollton, having in his custody young Evans, supposed to be the murderer of Halbert, west of Carrollton.
Evans was brought to Carrollton where, after preliminary examination, he was lodged in jail, the keeper at that time being Esquire Halbert, a brother of the murdered man.
Evans endeavored to implicate others in the crime but failed. It appears that his story is a pure canard. Absalom Bradley and other citizens tell us that Rat Johnson is cropping on the bottom, near Alston, and is in very low health with consumption and could not have been here. Besides, nobody in the county knew better than Rat must that Mr. Halbert had no money. At first we thought there might possibly be something in it. Evans finally confessed that he alone was the assassin.
The man Evans, no confined in jail for the Halbert murder, is the same chap that tried to pass a raised bill on our merchants a few weeks ago.
On Sunday night, the 23rd of June, a masked mob broke down the doors of the jail where Evans was confined, took him out, conveyed him to the Apple Creek bottom north of Carrollton and hanged him to a limb of a tree near the roadside.
As John Gross and Isodore Rohrer were driving toward Belltown on Sunday morning, they espied a man apparently standing under a tree on the west side of the road a few rods south of Belltown Bridge. The idea of a man standing there motionless at daylight aroused their curiosity and after a brief investigation, they were astonished to ascertain that the man had been hung. They immediately notified Esquire F. F. Bell, and Mr. Bell notified Coroner H. Nash, who summoned a jury. The jury, after being sworn, cut down the body and carried it to Belltown, where an inquest was held and a verdict returned that it was the body of Clark Evans, the Halbert murderer, and that he came to his death by being hung be the neck until dead, by an unknown mob.
27 Jun 1874
A Man Up A Tree: About midnight, last Sat. night, a buggy containing 3 men and a led horse, came into Carrollton from the north, turned west at bank corner, circled square a time or two. About the same time, another similar group came into N. E. corner of the square & passed round on South side. The two met at the co. jail. Jailor Halbert was not looking for them. They roused him & told him they had a prisoner for him, & when he got keys, they took him into custody & opening the jail secured Evans, the murderer of John Halbert, & put him into one of the buggies & the two buggies passed off north at a sharp speed. They were seen to pass out at the N. W. corner of square & take the W. H. road. In about 15 or 20 minutes the 2 horsemen followed under whip. These horsemen, it seems, had been guarding Jailor Halbert, while the Evans party should get on ahead. Next morning about sun up somebody accidentally, of course, happened on a body hanging to a tree near the Belltown bridge & all who saw this were filled with wonder as to who took such a sudden “rise in the world”! But when they put the two ends together, it occurred at once that some men, without a very hard struggle, had taken the murderer Evans from Carrollton jail & hanged him to a tree in Belltown. The jailor doesn’t claim to have known or recognized any of the parties doing this deed. A coroner’s inquest was held Sun. & the body buried.
Berdan Inquest: The first discovery was made by John Gross and Isodore Rohrer, 2 Germans, who live on Clark Lakin’s farm, on Sun. morning at daylight, as they were driving towards Belltown, they espied a man apparently standing under a tree on the west side of the road south of Belltown Bridge. The idea of a man standing there motionless at daylight aroused their curiosity and, after a brief investigation they were astonished to ascertain that the man had been hung. They immediately notified Esq. F. M. Bell and Mr. Bell notified Coroner H. Nash, who summoned a jury with Mr. Geo. Sleight, as foreman. The jury, after being sworn, cut down the body and carried it to Belltown, where an inquest was held and a verdict returned that it was the body of Clark Evans, the Halbert murderer, and that he came to his death by being hung by the neck until dead, by an unknown mob.
The Hanging Of Clark Evans: As soon as we got out of town we took the gag out of his mouth, so as to hear him talk. He begged for his life from the start, said that if he could live a few months longer, he could give proof that he had been frightened into the confession by threats of hanging, but when he found we would not listen to him, he seemed unable to say anything. Still we kept the gag on him whenever we passed a house, for fear he would make a fuss. When we got to the tree where we hung him, he again begged for his life, and cried like a child, but we put the rope around his neck and told him he had but 10 minutes to live. He kneeled down and prayed for a while, and then cried again, and said he was not the only guilty party, and said that Johnson had helped and had brought men to swear falsely for him and wanted someone to write out his true confession, but we told him we came to hang him and not to write for him. So, when we told him he had but 3 minutes more, he spent it all in praying. The leader held the watch, but we all had hold of the rope so that all should be concerned. We watched him until he was dead, and then all scattered for home, and no two of us are to be seen talking together for 2 months. I shall never help hang another man. I have hardly been able to sleep a wink since I can see that man hanging to that tree all the time. I don’t know all that helped do it. I don’t dare to tell. I should be killed if I did. It was fixed so that there was never but 5 of the mob together at any place, until we met at the jail. We all swore an oath never to tell, and to help kill any that did tell, and when any of us is sick, one of the others is always to watch with him to keep him from confessing. I wish I never had anything to do with it. Some of the men came over from Missouri, and some from Calhoun. Them that came from over the river are to work in the harvest awhile and go back 1 at a time. I won’t say where I live. I would not have said anything, but thought the public would like to know something about it. Evans left a message for his father and the Captain is going to send it to him. It was something about his being sorry, but I was so scared I could not remember it. Signed – One of the Mob
26 Feb 1876
The Bell Mills were sold last Tues. by A. M. Cunningham, assignee of F. M. Bell & Son. B. B. Bartholomew of Greenfield was auctioneer. The undivided half of the firm in mill & fixtures, sold for $700.00 to Peter Roodhouse. The lots in New Providence sold to one & another at $1 & $2 each. The other half interest belongs to Mr. Hank Tunison. The total sale amounted to $807.75. The $300 judgment of Thos. C. Purl, & $100 of Sam Levy, Carrollton, are to be paid in full, & it is supposed the other $12,000 of debts will realize 2 ½ cents on the dollar.
29 Apr 1876
License to wed Thos. A. Jayne; 29 Apr. 1876, v. 7, p. 3, col. 3
19 Jan 1878
Phelix Brown has opened out his coal bank on the Birch Creek half mile east of Cory Sander’s old place. Coal on hand at all times. Furnace coal 6 cts. on the flat. Home and Blacksmith coal 12 cts.
19 May 1883
Geo. Lewis was sentenced to the penitentiary for 34 years for shooting of Mr. Hardcastle. He has now been there some 7 years & during his term of service, he had the misfortune to lose a leg. Mr. P.G. Edwards rec’d a letter from him an answer to Mr. Edward’s letter of March 12, in which he (Lewis) said, "I should be happy to receive my little girl’s picture. I have the one taken when she was about 17 mos. old. She is 11 yrs. old now, & if she can write, I should be highly pleased to receive a letter from her when it is is convenient to you, please make known my request to some one who will do me this favor. Please write to me again when you have convenient time. May the Lord give you & all the people of that locality a choice blessing. Geo. Lewis, Register No. 7690"
03 Apr 1891

The following letter written forty three years ago by Richard C. Young, Washington City, to Esther Young, a colored woman then living in Whitehall, was recently found among the old files in the county clerk's office of this county.

Mr. Young had resided in Whitehall before locating in Washington City, having moved there from Kentucky. He was at one time clerk of the House of Representatives, was commissioner of the land department succeeding Gen. Shield under President Polk, and was judge of the Superior court.

His cousin, John Bristow, of whom he speaks, was Captain John Bristow, who at one time resided in Whitehall and afterwards in Wilmington, commanded a company in the Mexican war, and was an uncle of the late B. B. Bristow, ex-secretary of the U. S. Treasury. His "brother" Colby, was Colby Young, who taught school in Wilmington about the year 1841 and afterwards kept a hotel there, but he had moved to Washington City at the time this letter was written.

The Mr. Whiteside mentioned was either Judge L. T. Whiteside, now of Whitehall, or his brother Rev. A. J. Whiteside as they were both living in Wilmington at that time.

Judge Worcester was the Whitehall post-master mentioned.

Uncle Edward (or "Uncle Ned" as he was called in Whitehall), Aunt Dinah and Rose were colored people living in Whitehall, formerly slaves in Kentucky, owned by the Youngs and brought to Illinois by them. Aunt Lucy was a colored woman in Kentucky, who had been given her freedom by the Young family. Uncle Ned and Aunt Dinah will be remembered by all of the old citizens who were residents of Whitehall in 1842.

Capt. Bristow had attempted to kidnap "Aunt Esther" and her four children with a view of running them off and selling them into slavery, had driven his wagon in front of her door to load them in, but was prevented from carrying out his intentions by Col. J. C. Winters, who happened upon the scene and served notice upon the Captain that if he attempted to carry them off, then or thereafter he would do so at his peril.


Washington City, D. C. March 15, 48.

To Esther Young:

I received your letter dated March 2d this morning and regretted very much to hear that an attempt had been made to carry you and your children to Kentucky, for the purpose of subjecting you and them to slavery. I regret this on many accounts. I have been very anxious for the welfare of Cousin John Bristow and my sister
Louisa--but my God! what can he expect to gain by such a violation of law, and all the rights of religion and humanity: I do hope for his own sake that he will desist from such and intention, if he has any feeling for the helpless condition of yourself and children. You are unquestionably free as well as your children, by the laws of Illinois and could gain your freedom, even in a court in Kentucky, and if you should be kidnapped and run off, with your children, get someone to write to me or to brother Colby, where you are, and we will see that right takes place. The courts in the slave States will be just as ready to do you justice as the courts in Illinois.

I have written to Gov. Carlin, and to Mr. Cavarly at Carrollton, and to the Postmaster at Whitehall, to see that your rights are not violated, and Brother Colby has written to Mr. Samuel Higbee at Whitehall, and Mr. Whiteside at Wilmington, on the same subject.

I should think that it would be difficult to procure anyone to steal you off clandestinely, as by so doing, he would be guilty of the crime of kidnapping, which in Illinois, is a penitentiary offense. But I think from the letters that Brother Colby and myself have written in your behalf, that no further attempt will be made, and if there should be the people will not permit it to be done.

Tell Uncle Edward that I made all the necessary arrangements for Aunt Lucy to go to Illinois last fall, but that when the time came for leaving she was unwilling to undertake the journey and could not be persuaded to go. I was much disappointed at her refusal, as she had previously promised me to go, and I had made all the necessary arrangements to advance the money for the journey.

Give Uncle Edward, Aunt Dina and Rose my best wishes for their welfare. Write again and let me know what further may be done or attempted. We are all well.

Richard M. Young
07 Feb 1896
Church: Hickory Grove church has called Dr. Justus Buckley, of Upper Alton as pastor.
05 Jun 1896
Birth: There is a new postmaster at Wrightsville, since Thursday morning, weighs 11 lbs.
22 Jan 1897
Church: Meeting closed at the Grove church Mon. after running about 4 wks. 37 additions to church, which is greatly revived. Rev. Rhoads did the preaching, assisted by Rev. Gaither.
09 Apr 1897
"Wrightsville" new business: F. W. Cox – Groceries & Provisions.
14 May 1897
Church: Large attendance at Hickory Grove Church, Sat. & Sun. Rev. W. M. Rhoads, the pastor, baptized 20 converts, Sat.
13 Aug 1897
Church: Eld. W. M. Rhoads preached at Hickory Grove, Sat. & Sun. The church called him by unanimous vote for pastor for another year.
17 Sep 1897
Church: Rev. Wm. Rhoads failed to fill his appointment at the Grove Church, last Sun., having been called to Minnesota by the death of his mother.
08 Oct 1897
Church: Rev. Deaton, of Walkerville, preached at the hall Sat. night & Sun.
1898 White Hall Register extracts

20 Jan 1899
Church: Meetings are going on at the Hall with good interest; there have been 25 professions & 17 additions to Hickory Grove Church. Eld. Marsh is conducting the meeting since the first week taking the place of Eld. Eli Mott.
02 Jan 2 1925
Carrollton girl, Miss Mary Gallup of Carrollton, the Greene County spelling champion, is also champion of the state. Miss Gallup, 14 years old, won the elementary championship of the state at the contest at Springfield this week.
09 Jan 1925
Cars and wagons travel on Illinois River, frozen over.
16 Jan 1925
Tis unlawful to eat raw oysters in the state of Illinois. The order is stringent and forbids the selling of oysters to the ultimate consumer, unless a written promise is given that they will not be eaten raw.
23 Jan 1925
City provider lodging for 100 tramps since Jan. 1. Two of them gave their address as Dublin, Ireland.
30 Jan 1925
Nine more arrested for violation of traffic rules. Monday, Geo. North – Tuesday, Dr. A. R. Jarman and Lloyd Seeley – both of this city, also O. C. Immenhausen of St. Louis, Albert Alduson of Waverly and R. A. Sanes of Jacksonville – Wednesday, everybody was good – Thursday, Carl Lowenstein, also Frank Simonds of Roodhouse and C.M. Daneters of Springfield.
06 Feb 1925
Belltown Hard Road Contract Awarded. Provides for paving of 4.35 miles of road from south limits of city of White Hall thru’ village of Belltown and across the big fill thru’ Apple Creek bottoms joining Sec. 53 which has been completed to Berdan corners, north of Carrollton. Nelson Bros. of Jerseyville were awarded contract for $99,559.73.
13 Feb 1925
White Hall Students on Honor Roll; Jacksonville, Illinois, Feb. 10 – John Ballard and Miss Beryl Galaway of White Hall of class of ’28 have been named by faculty of Illinois College as honor students for first semester of term.
20 Feb 1925
D. C. Edwards commits suicide by hanging in driveway of barn, 2 miles north of Greenfield, aged 48.
Feb. 16 was 50th wedding anniversary of Mr. & Mrs. W. G. Barnett of this city.
27 Feb 1925
Paul J. Bell, aged 35 years, 2 months and 22 days, a veteran of World War, died at Government Naval Hospital, Fort Lyons, Las Animas, Colorado, Sat., Feb. 7, 1925.
06 Mar 1925
Harry Starkey, aged 24 years, son of Mr. & Mrs. Thos. Starkey of Rubicon township, Greene Co., killed in motorcycle accident in East St. Louis, Feb. 19, brought back to old home north of Greenfield for funeral and interment.
13 Mar 1925
Clendenen Acquitted of Murder of Zwarka. Eldred man’s plea that he acted in self-defense.
20 Mar 1925
Southern Illinois Visited by Tornado. Thousands of people killed or injured in Wednesday storm – big property damage – Missouri and Indiana also hit.
27 Mar 1925
Petty Thieves: Avery Dowall of Rockbridge vicinity captured one of his neighbors the 17th last with 160 of his chickens in his possession. – (Greenfield Argus)
03 Apr 1925
Roy Driver, War Veteran, Receives $3216 Pension from Govt. – Also will receive hereafter $80 per month. He was shell shocked in battle and is now paralyzed to extent that he walks with great difficulty and has partly lost the power of speech.
10 Apr 1925
Harry McFarland, Carrollton, Meets Death in Accident. Was found in his store, Thursday morning, about 9 o’clock lying in a pool of blood, with jugular vein severed by a chisel.
17 Apr 1925
All but one of Athensville business houses burned. Entire loss estimated at $25,000.
24 Apr 1925
“Triple X” an educated horse, advertised as being able to do everything but talk was the feature attraction at Princess Theatre Wednesday night. The wonderful animal has almost human intelligence. A handkerchief was tied to each hind feet and the horse took them off with his mouth, danced alone to music of the organ. “Triple X” is 2 years old and owned by E. M. Woods of Pittsfield, Pike County. Mr. Woods has refused an offer of $5000 for “Triple X.”
01 May 1925
Murl A. Dawdy Goes to Pasture After Horse; Is Found Dead.
01 May 1925
Will Dedicate Kampsville Church Sunday, May 31.
15 May 1925
Royal Neighbors Quadrennial Convention at Hot Springs.
22 May 1925
New Addition to Methodist Church Dedicated Sunday.
29 May 1925
Hard Road Being Pushed to Completion.
05 Jun 1925
Harry Walton Drowned in Roodhouse Reservoir.
12 Jun 1925
Reclamation of the Illinois River Valley Overflow Lands.
19 Jun 1925
Five Townships Lose $1000 in Railroad Tax.
26 Jun 1925
Dr. Jarman’s Father Dead.
03 Jul 1925
White Hall Chiropractors Are Found Not Guilty – Dr. Geo. Newhardt was acquitted, charge against his wife, Agnes, also Dr. & Mrs. N. O. Garman and Dr. W. P. Rexroat, all of this city, was dismissed.
10 Jul 1925
Hillview Garage Burglarized; Thieves captured here.
17 Jul 1925
Mr. & Mrs. D. A. Griswold Celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary on Saturday, July 11, at their home in Blue Mound, Illinois.
24 Jul 1925
Miss Inez Green Going to China for Missionary Work.
31 Jul 1925
William Jennings Bryan Died Very Suddenly at Dayton, Tennessee, July 26, 1925, born March 19, 1860.
Child Killed by Falling Limb at Bluffdale – Betty Jane Robley, 6 year old child of Mr. & Mrs. Elmer Robley.
07 Aug 1925
Lieutenant Ballow First Person Buried in White Hall Cemetery.
14 Aug 1925
Freight Train Hits Auto; Two Killed – Mrs. Roy Wahl, 27, killed almost instantly, her 3 year old son, George, fatally injured. Mother tossed her year old baby to safety.
21 Aug 1925
Chautauqua Draws Large Crowds Daily.
28 Aug 1925
Plan to Drill for Oil and Gas at Bradshaw’s Mound.
A Farewell for Mr. & Mrs. D. H. Wells (Supt.)
04 Sep 1925
Dirigible “Shenandoah” is Wrecked; Thirteen Dead. The greatest airship of our navy was destroyed near Caldwell, Ohio when struck by severe storm.
11 Sep 1925
Big Fall Festival at White Hall October 12-17.
18 Sep 1925
Some Corn, Eh? A stalk of corn 22 feet high with 7 well-developed ears of corn, grown in Hillview Drainage District by a Mr. Kirback.
25 Sep 1925
First New Ford Cars Are Delivered in Greene County.
02 Oct 1925
Find Much Barberry in Greene County.
09 Oct 1925
Two Sheppard Boys Killed in Auto Crash.
23 Oct 1925
Carrollton Girls Injured in Auto Turn-Over. Misses Mabel Arnold & Helen Stevenson.

Transcribed by Marianne E Rose prior to 2012

11 Jan 1929 - Page 2, Col. 1
Edward L. Hager was a member of Company A, 61st Illinois infantry. He enlisted November 13, 1861, as a drummer boy; was wounded in the arm at Shiloh or Pittsburgh Landing, Tennessee, April 7, 1862, died of his wound at his home in White Hall, Illinois, May 30, 1862, aged 14 years, 9 months, and 26 days, (according to the official record), and was buried in the Old Cemetery at that place in the Southwest part of the city on Carlinville street, East of Hancock Street. The Northwest corner of the lot on which he is buried is 35 feet due west of the Southwest corner of the lot on which Attorney General Lamborn is buried.
Edward L. Hagar was a son of Calvin Hagar, who located at White Hall in the year 1835, a short distance west of the Dr. A. W. Foreman residence, now owned by James Frazer, 539 West Carlinville street. He came from Vermont, and engaged in the mercantile business. Asbury Davis married Mary Ann Hagar, a sister of Calvin Hagar, and became a clerk in his store, afterward succeeding to the business and became the merchant prince of White Hall, having amassed a fortune in his day, and died more than fifty years ago. He is buried in an unmarked grave in the White Hall cemetery south of the city.
Mrs. Gregory Mason, Route 32, New Canaan, Connecticut, wife of Gregory Mason, explorer, is a granddaughter of Mr. Davis, and is said to be his only living descendant. The writer remembers Mr. Davis very vividly. He was a distinguished looking old gentleman with a prominent Roman nose, crooked a little to the left. His bearing was that of a statesman rather than a merchant. He was always well and fashionably dressed.
The only descendant of the Hagar family in White Hall is Mrs. J. V. Nevius, nee Lucy Brooks, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. James B. Brooks. There are several surviving members of the Brooks family. A, Hagar Brooks, of of St. Louis is the only one bearing the name of Hagar. The relationship comes through the mothers side, she being a Reno, daughter of Aaron Reno, an early White Hall merchant, who gave John G. Nicolay a position as clerk in his store when Nicolay first came to White Hall. Mr. Nicolay afterward became private secretary to President Lincoln, and one of his historians, collaborating in the work with John Hay. Mrs. Aaron Reno was a sister of Calvin Hagar and mother of Mrs. James S. Brooks. Edward L. Hagar had one brother and two sisters. The brother was named Amazon and nicknamed Amy. His sister, Sarah, was a Civil War nurse and died during the war. Mary Hagar, commonly called Mollie, was the daughter of Calvin Hagar, and sister of Edward L. Hagar. She married Samuel Gray of Hamilton, Illinois, and had two sons, both of whom are believed to be still residing at Hamilton, one named George. His parents are said to have been buried at Delavan, Ill.
Capt. Green P. Hanks, of Johnson, Arkansas, was young Hagar's captain at Shiloh. The following are excerpts taken from a letter from Capt. Hanks to Raymond Blair Pearce, Secretary of White Hall Historical Society, under date of June 28, 1928:
"In regard to Edward L. Hagar, I certainly have a vivid remembrance of this splendid boy. He came to Camp Carrollton to enlist in the service, but on account of his extreme youth the enlisting officers would not receive him, but he refused to leave camp and followed the regiment to Benton Barracks at St. Louis, and would not be turned back at all hazards. Finally the commanding officer of the regiment placed him in the regimental band fife and drum corps. Orders came for the regiment to go south for action. At our first engagement, when we went into battle at Shiloh, every musician threw down his instrument and grabbed up a fallen musket (for in a very short time there were many muskets). Ed was in the thickest of the terrible fight. All day long we would charge and fall back. It was hard to keep this lad in line. He was ready to charge but hard to make fall back. The line was retreating at one time and he was ordered back. He said, "Just a minute, there is a fellow on a gray horse over there in that thicket and if he should show his head again I would give him a scare." At that instance a commanding officer of the gray threw up his hands and a rider-less horse came out of the thicket. Edward L. Hagar was one of the severely wounded. He, with many others, was placed on transport boats and sent back north and I never saw him again".
The White Hall Sons of Veterans which flourished in the early 80's recognized the memory of Edward L. Hagar by naming the camp in his honor. Through the efforts of Raymond Blair Pearce, Secretary of the White Hall Historical Society, the Government has recently erected a monument at the grave of young Hagar. The Boy Scouts of White Hall have undertaken the care of the grave in the future.
The writer is under many obligations to Elmer Lincoln Wendell, President, and Raymond Blair Pearce, Secretary of the White Hall Historical Society for furnishing him with the information and data necessary to compile this history of this interesting soldier boy.
24 Jun 1932
Early History of Fayette
Here is a little village which narrowly escaped being born in Macoupin County, it is so close to the line. This village, which is now in Rockbridge Township, was laid out in 1835, and on Sept 19 same yr. the plat was filed for record. It is said that Manoah Bostwick, James Metcalf and William Blair were the original owners and founders of Fayette.
Three buildings were soon erected, 2 of which were store buildings, and one a residence, latter by a man named Hall and others by Bostwick and Metcalf, the latter being first merchant, a man by name of Hoodson being a partner in business with him.
Soon after they engaged in mercantile business. Blair Bros opened a stock of goods and business began to hum in this county line town. Several hours were later erected along the principal street in the village and for several yrs. The place seemed to thrive.
However, Fayette is like many other villages of the earlier day—has been losing out since the days of automobiles and hard roads. At present there are 2 stores, one garage, a community church and a one-room school building. Hard road No 108 Kampsville to Carlinville passed one mile south of Fayette, which gives this village a little better connection with the outside world than it had in years gone by.
12 Jun 1936
Nine local Civil War Veterans are living:
Each year find fewer of those men who fought in the Civil War during those years from 1861 to 1865. The following list is of local interest:
John F. Cole, White Hall, age 88. Mr. Cole is a native of Greene County, having been born north of Wrights.
August B. Smith, White Hall, age 86. Mr. and Mrs. Smith spend the winter months in the Soldiers’ Home in Quincy.
George R. Adams, White Hall, age 93. Mr. and Mrs. Adams now live with their daughter, Mrs. Guy Lowenstein at Ridge Farm, Ill.
Allen A. Lorton, White Hall, almost 89. Mr. Lorton has lived with his daughter, Mrs. James E. Symons at Murrayville for the past five years.
Joseph R. Baker, Roodhouse, age 94. Mr. Baker is a native of Pennsylvania, has been a resident of Roodhouse community for 67 years.
William DeLong, Roodhouse, age 93. Mr. DeLong has been a resident of Roodhouse for the past 41 years. He walks down town daily and cares for his yard and garden.
William I. Williamson, age 93, is the oldest man in Greenfield.
John Haney, age 90, has spent his entire life in Scott County. He has lived for many years in the Pleasant Hill community, northwest of Roodhouse.
Samuel W. Peak, Winchester, celebrated his 96th birthday, February 9. His first Presidential vote was cast for Abraham Lincoln.

Transcribed 11 Nov 2002 by Carol S. VanValkenburgh

24 Jun 1939
August B. Smith and Allen Lorton attended meeting at Gettysburg, Pa.

Templates in Time