1897 Souvenir of Roodhouse

By Wilbur T. Hicks
To Patrons and Public.
It is with a feeling of pride and no little amount of pleasure that we are enabled to present this handsome illustrated souvenir of Roodhouse. It may not be as complete as it should be or as thorough in its treatment of subjects, but much more so than the patronage justifies.
No doubt the book has faults and it may contain errors, but we have used the utmost care to make the work all it should be, considering the circumstances under which is it issued.
The matter is all entirely original in every particular. Nothing is copied or borrowed. Whatever merits or demerits the book possesses, the credit or blame belongs to us. In writing of the town and citizens we have used the utmost care to be fair and impartial, both to patrons and non-patrons. We have endeavored to the best of our ability to write of our friends as we know them and have known them in the every day walks for the past ten years. We have used no flattery or superfluous words. We have preferred to be truthful for the reason that all notices and biographical sketches are wholly complimentary on our part.
In publishing this work we have been greatly assisted by the artistic typographical work of the Greenfield Printing Company, Vic H. Haven, manager to whom the credit for its tasteful appearance is due. We feel that nothing has ever been turned out of a country printing office in the section to either surpass or equal it. The handsome engravings used are all the work of the Sanders Engraving Company, St. Louis, one of the best and largest firms of the kind in the West.
Hoping we have pleased our patrons and satisfied the public, we respectfully submit this little book for your inspection.
Yours truly,
Wilbur T. Hicks
Church buildings, city hall, six hotel buildings, and many nice and cozy residences.
John T. Rawlins was the first postmaster. The next was Adam Shearer who was appointed in 1867, receiving as compensation the munificent sum of $12 a year. His successor was G.N. Sawyer, who served three years. In 1882 John Roodhouse was appointed to fill the position, and the second year of his incumbency was signalized by the office being made a money order office. Those who have held the office since this time are in the order named: Ellis Briggs, W.C. Roodhouse, R.E. Whitlock, D. F. King, and W. C. Roodhouse, the latter being the present incumbent and was appointed by the President in September 1897.
The first bank was established in 1876 with John Aiken as cashier, who was soon after succeeded by T.L. Smith.
Among some of the first business men of the town, the following is a fairly complete list, together with the kind of goods they dealed in: John T. Rawlins, dry goods; Adam Shearer, butcher; Hoff Bridges, dry goods; a Mr. McIntyre, tailor; B. Nathan, tobacco and cigars; George Thompson, dry goods; Charles Adler, shoe maker; James Armstrong, lumber; Peter Dunbar, grocer; Sawyer & Drennan, dry goods; Armstrong & Sharp, general merchandise; Bundy & Worcester, lumber and hardware; Wes Gilam & Bro., grocers – afterward liverymen; J.C. Watt, furniture; Briggs & Titus, millers; William Cutler, foundryman; Wm. Lorton, furniture; Strong, Butler & Adams, general merchandise; G. P. Leighton, grocer; Lewis Lesem, clothing; D.B. Moore, drugs; J. L. Hosman, drugs; James Sawyer, liveryman; Carrico & Spears, dry goods; Freeto & Fisk, tinners; Knight & Richardson, butchers. The first hotels were run by Harmon Wales, Wm. Scott and David Kirkland. The first saloon keepers were Patrick Lennon, Charles Dolan, Patrick Maloy and John Trippen. The first restaurant was run by a man named Clark. The first lawyer was D.C. McIver. Others who have and are now practicing here are James L. Patterson, H.B. Kelly, King & Doolittle, H. P. Lowenstein, J. W. Starkey, D. J. Sullivan, W. B. Strang and James Johnston. The first doctor in is doubt – Drs. Thomas McEuen and W.H. Veach both located about the same time. Those who have followed are Drs. E.H. Higbee, Y.D. Scales, Churchill, Clark, M.F. Kelley, John Roberts, Charles Allen, B.B. Lang, L. H. Clampitt, C. R. Thomas and H. W. Smith.
Among the enterprises that have benefited the town, perhaps none deserve more prominent mention than the Roodhouse Building & Loan Association, which was organized in January 1884. The charter was granted to H.H. Palmer, W. F. Huge, J. W. Roodhouse and W. A. Thompson. The first President was G. W. Armstrong, and the first secretary was H. C. Worcester. The present President and Secretary are James L. Patterson and W. D. Berry. All together there have been 3,700 shares issued. The first newspaper published in the town was called the Roodhouse Signal and was printed at the Register office in White Hall. The Carrollton Gazette soon after issued a like sheet from its office and called it the Headlight. It was left for the irrepressible Tom Lakin to start the first paper printed in Roodhouse. It was called the Independent and commenced publishing in 1876. In October, 1877, D.C. McIver started the Roodhouse Review. In December of the same year, J. S. Harper established Harper’s Weekly Herald. The Eye was started in 1883 by J. P. Drennan and W. T. McIver. In 1887, Mr. McIver quit the newspaper business and established the Roodhouse electric light plant.
On the evening of January 20, 1872, a public meeting was held in the office of Esquire Husted for the purpose of getting a petition asking for incorporation as a village. W. T. Day presided at the meeting and S. L. Simmons acted as secretary. This meeting was successful from the fact that the object of it was gained and the papers issued bearing date of March 23, 1872. The first election was held January 27, 1872, and the Board of Trustees was composed of John Roodhouse, George W. Thompson, John T. Rawlins, David Kirkland. Elihu Yates and W. P. Sitton each received 23 votes. Mr. Yates filled the office by consent of Mr. Sitton. At this election 47 votes were cast. The first meeting of the Board was held May 21, and the organization effected by the election of John Roodhouse, President, and John T. Rawlins, Clerk.
In 1873 the Board composed C.A. Swan, J. H. Long, W. P. Sitton, Charles L. Savage and H. P. Perley, the latter being appointed to fill the vacancy caused by the failure of J. A. Taylor to qualify. In September of this year the Board held a special meeting to reduce the saloon license from $50 to $40.
Form 1873 to the time the village was organized as a city in 1881, the records have been lost; at least a diligent search failed to locate them. Those who served as Presidents of the Town Board during those years, as near as we could ascertain, are A. M. Dill, D. C. Foster, E. H. Sawyer, Peter Dunbar, James L. Patterson.
In the early part of 1881 the town was incorporated as a city and the first election for Mayor and Councilmen was held in April of that year. The city was divided into three wards. In speaking of Aldermen, they will be mentioned in order, commencing with the Aldermen elected from the First Ward. The election of this year resulted in the election of Ellis Briggs, mayor; G. P. Leighton, Clerk; D. C. McIver, City Attorney; G. W. Fisk, Treasurer; and S. L. Stone, W. T. Lowry, R. N. Ruyle, F. L. Knight, W. S. Murray, D. W. Peel members of the Council. On April 11 of this year, Mayor Briggs sent to the council a letter of resignation, on account of that body voting a bill of $20 to D. C. McIver over his veto. The matter was compromised, however, and the resignation not accepted. The appointive officers during this first year of city organization were E. F. Wade, Marshal, and W. B. Jackson, Superintendent of Streets.
1882 – D. H. Jackman, W. P. Sitton, William Dolan were elected to the Council
1883 – George W. Armstrong, Mayor; G. P. Leighton, Clerk; H. C. Worcester, Treasurer; J. W. Starkey, Attorney; Aldermen, A. Orr, L. J. Patterson, H. Wismeyer.
1884 – Aldermen, W. F. Huge, S. C. Moore, P. T. Barnhart, J. P. Drennan was elected Police Magistrate for four years, being the first man to hold this office.
1885 – Ellis Briggs, Mayor; F. L. Marshal, Clerk; D. F. King, Attorney; John Slaten, Treasurer; Aldermen Thomas Halloway, F. C. Smith, Henry Wismeyer.
1886 – A careful search of the records for this year failed to disclose who the lucky ones were. The first meeting of the Council after election time, there were only the three holdover Aldermen present.
1887 – J. W. Starkey, Mayor; W. C. Roodhouse, Clerk; F. M. Bateman, Treasurer; D. F. King, Attorney; Aldermen, Mark Heaton, R. G. Dunsmore, Henry Wismeyer. The Mayor appointed W. T. Sitton, Marshal, W. B. Jackson, Night Watchman; Giles Campbell, Street Superintendent.
1888 – Aldermen, Charles E. Darling, Dr. D. M. Truesdale, P. T. Barnhart. L. D. Scott was elected Police Magistrate.
1889 – W. P. Gilmore, Mayor; James Johnston, Attorney; H. C. Worcester, Treasurer; F. C. Smith, Clerk, A. F. Halbert, Police Magistrate; Aldermen, William Gerbing, Isaac Conlee, W. D. Berry.
1890 – Aldermen, Dr. E. H. Higbee, C. E. Cornett, George R. Lorton.
1891 – Isaac Conlee, Mayor; F. C. Smith, Clerk; W. D. Berry, Treasurer; James Johnston, Attorney; Aldermen, William Gerbing, W. H. Pinkerton, P. T. Barnhart.
1892—Aldermen, Dr. E. H. Higbee, Jesse Ash, J. F. Cole. William Scott, Police Magistrate.
1893 – George W. Armstrong, Mayor; R. I. Barry, Clerk; J. L. Boggess, Treasurer; James Johnston, Attorney; Aldermen, William Gerbing, R. A. Young, Dr. D. M. Truesdale. Water works were voted for at this election, but the proposition failed to receive a majority of all the votes cast and was lost.
1894 – Aldermen, A. Orr, William Sheppard, J. F. Cole.
1895 – George W. Armstrong, Mayor, R. I. Barry, Clerk; Theo Dill, Treasurer; D. J. Sullivan, Attorney; Aldermen, J. H. Wolfe, George Sieverling, Dr. D. M. Truesdale.
1896 – Aldermen, C. R. Thomas, F. L. Thompson, Charles Rogers.
1897 – George W. Armstrong, Mayor; John Sorrels, Clerk; W. D. Berry, Treasurer; Walter B. Strang, Attorney; Aldermen, R. C. Thompson, E. A. Sturdevant, P. G. Deyo. The Mayor appointed W. T. Sitton Marshal and Giles Campbell Street Commissioner.
Good likenesses of several of the present city officers are reproduced on these pages.
The Chicago and Alton Railway did not always advertise itself as "The Dustless Route" or as having "Perfect Passenger Service". Time was when the "Alton" was just a common railroad with very little to commend it to the public except its urgent necessity. Like most other great and good things it began on a small scale – at the foot of the ladder, figuratively speaking, and slowly climbed until at the present time it is very near the top. If not at the top, near enough to see over with out any difficulty. It is needless to say that no other road in the West surpasses it in any particular. Neither is it necessary for us to say anything about the management – the work of the road’s officers speaks for itself. In every department of the service the right man is found filling the right place, from general manager down to the foreman on a section.
In 1862 the "Alton" extended its line from Manchester, which was then the terminus for this branch, to Roodhouse, and in 1863 it was built still further south. The first ticket agent at Roodhouse was James Armstrong, who kept store and transacted business for the "Alton" at the same time. Those who have served since then, so far as we could learn from the information to be had are, Jack Lee, Thomas Salter, Mr. Morgan, F. L. Marshall, L. B. Patterson, R. A. Roberts, J. E. Beard, L. L. Martin, Steve Dun, C. E. Cornett, O. M. Johnson and O. O. Hodges, who is the present popular incumbent.
The roundhouse was built in 1870 and contained ten stalls. It was rebuilt in 1882 and ten more stalls added. The stock yards and reservoir were built in 1871. The same year the Kansas City branch of the road was built into Roodhouse. Few there are in this section who are not aware of how Roodhouse happened to secure this connection. The story of a public meeting; a committee of three prominent citizens, viz: E. M. Husted, John Roodhouse and John T. Rawlins, and their wild ride on a hand car to Jacksonville to enable them to catch an early train in order to beat White Hall; of their success with General Manager Blackstone of the "Alton" and their unceasing and untiring work to secure right of way, etc., have all been told over and over again and need not be retold here.
The first Division Superintendent after the establishment of division headquarters here was T. M. Bates. He was succeeded by S. D. Reeve, after which David Brock assumed the duties. He was succeeded by W. K. Morley, who held the position until the office was abolished in 1892.
The roundhouse foremans have been C. A. Swan, who held the office first, O. Slocum, W. P. Strunk, John Greene, C. V. Lary, Samuel Allis and C. V. Lary.
The present force of employes and their positions is as follows:
Trainmaster – L. H. Nolan.
Roadmaster – E. Dooley
Clerk to Roadmaster – M. Sullivan.
Day Dispatcher – M. Shay.
Night Dispatcher – O. Coyen.
Ticket and Freight Agent – O. O. Hodges.
Night Ticket Agent – J. H. Carkhuff.
Baggageman – R. M. Hale.
General Yardmaster – J. E. Barry.
Day Foreman of Yards – J. M. Bandy
Assistant – Perry Shuman.
Night Yardman – H. C. Webster.
Night Foreman Yards – T. J. Bell.
Assistant – Ed Hinthorn.
Day Caller – Oscar Harfield.
Night Caller – Harry Harfield
Engineer Pump House – George Champion.
Passenger Conductors – R. G. Dunsmore L. W. Vadney, E. S. Nichols, E. B. Watson, E. W. Burch, W. E. S. Gibson, H. S. Arnold, G. H. Tremblett, C. H. Burdick, Wm. Groves, A. J. Fell.
Passenger Brakemen – D. L. Harrives, Charles Glass, J. B. Sweeney, M. A. Smith, J. Swearenger, Albert York, J. Utt, A. Neece, A. J. Wells, Wm. Craig
Flagmen – H. E. Patton, G. Williams, R. C. Hastings, J. Baird, Charles Rogers
Freight Conductors – C. E. Brazenell, T. R. Sullivan, D. Lynch, Fred Knight, J. E. Medley, Mr. Shell, L. E. Alfrey, P. G. Deyo
Freight Brakemen – John Knoth, Bert Samples, John Few, Thomas Davis, Thomas Burdick, W. W. Wallbridge, P. M. Shuman, B. Filson, D. Anderson, George Coolley, E. Alexander, M. O. Otts, A. Stewart, M. Simmons.
Engineers – W. P. Strunk, J. F. Donnelly, J. A. Wells, S. E. Yonker, O. Schmachtenberger, J. W. Casey, J. C. Updegraff, G. W. Fulton, J. S. Triplett, E. H. Becraft, C. T. Wilkinson.
Firemen – A. Griffin, A. Sanks, N. Yonker, J. Sitton, W. P. Strunk, Jr., J. W. Utt, C. A. Hannaford, A. R. Hannaford, Wm. Lewis, A. F. Martin, C. H. Koeler.
Roundhouse – C. V. Lary, foreman engines and cars; E. L. Chapman, clerk; R. A. Young, machinist; P. G. Hendel, boiler maker; J. S. Kenley and N. E. Windsor, hostlers; C. Kane, W. D. Albert, H. C. Deck, T. D. Overby, Chas. Jones, John Washington, George Lynch, Wm. Lynch, C. A. Plunkett, workmen.
Car Shops – G. S. VanSickle, head car repairer, and Henry Yarnell and J. H. Ferguson, assistants.
Coal Supply – C. D. Deck, foreman coal chutes; Robert Lewis, Alva Tanksley, Wm. Grant and John Rose, assistants.
Section Men – A. W. Crawford, foreman; James Hornan, George Spiker, William Barnhardt, Ed England, Terry Tucker, John Thompson, Ed Spiker, James Early.
Flagman – Palm Street Crossing – Chester Coates.
A.F. & A. M.
E. M. Husted Lodge No. 786, A. F. & A. M., was organized October 8, 1890. The past Masters are G. W. Trask, J.H. Wolfe and F. P. Armstrong. The lodge was named in honor of E. M. Husted, who was most instrumental in establishing the lodge. The present officers are: O. O. Hodges, Master; C. T. Bates, Senior Warden; W. S. Murray, Junior Warden; E. M. Husted, Treasurer; Harry Welty, Secretary; G. W. Trask, Champlain; C. V. Lary, Senior Deacon; F. E. Woolley, Junior Deacon; H. T. Murray, Senior Steward; C. W. Jones, Junior Steward; G. M. Wyatt, Organist; J. C. Weiser, Tyler.
I. O. O. F.
The lodge of I. O. O. F. was organized in Roodhouse November 17, 1880. The charter members were James Gordy, S. L. Stone, Syrrell Whitaker, J. H. Brown and F. M. Palmer. At present the lodge has sixty-five members. The present officers are: Theo Dill, Noble Grand; E. M. Bandy, Vice Grand; S. T. King, Recording Secretary; W. C. Roodhouse, Permanent Secretary; J. C. Morrow, Treasurer; A. M. Conlee, Warden; M. E. Brown, Outside Guardian; J. H. English, R.S.N.G.; W. L. Riddle, L.S.N.G.; J. T. Truitt, Chaplain.
Knights of Pythias.
Worcester Lodge No 113 was organized October 17, 1883. The charter members now living in Roodhouse are J. H. English, Edgar Husted, D. F. King, H. C. Worcester, W. L. Riddle, Jas. L. Patterson, Dr. D. M. Truesdale. The lodge has sixty-seven members. The present officers are: Theo Dill, C.C.; W. E. S. Gibson, V.C.; W. C. Roodhouse, P.; Fred Epstein, M.E.; J. H. English, F.F.; John W. Starkey, K. of R.&S.; Harvey Adams, M.A.; Dr. D. M. Truesdale, M.W.; A. B. Davis, O.G.; Cal Spencer I.G.
National Union
National Union Council No. 317 was organized September 26 1890. At resent there are about twenty-five members in good standing. The present officers are: W. C. Roodhouse, Secretary; F. E. Woolley, Financial Secretary; H. C. Worcester, Treasurer; R. M. Hale, Chaplain; George Clement, Sargeant at Arms; Larry Nolan, Speaker. Trustees, C. H. Libby, H. C. Worcester and Jas. L. Patterson.
The A.O.U.W. was among the first lodges organized in this city. It dates back to May 30, 1878. The present officers are: J. F. Cole, Master Workman; W. P. Sitton, Foreman; W. T. Sitton, Overseer; Chester Coates, Guide; W. H. Barrow, Receiver; E. S. Bundy, Financier; C. C. VanDoren, Recorder.

At present the lodge has only thirty-three members. During the history of this lodge nine death losses have been paid, amounting to $18,000.
Roodhouse Camp No. 483 was organized December 29, 1887. The present officers are: J. F. Cobaugh, V.C.; E. E. Porter, W.A.; H. E. Trash, Banker; J. W. Trunnels, Escort; J. W. Lewis, Watchman; E. England, Sentry; Dr. B. B. Lang, Physician; J. Marshall, R. C. Thompson and J. H. Barrow, Managers.
B. of R.T.
The Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen was organized in Roodhouse in 1881. The membership at present is thirty-two. The first Master was T. J. Bell. The present officers are: Frank Shuman, Past Master; W. Johnson, Vice Master; R. A. Filson, Financier; J. M. Bandy, Secretary; Perry Shuman, Journal Agent.
Division 97, Order of Railway Conductors, was organized in 1883. Among the conductors most prominently connected with the organization of this order were: C. W. Wimsett, S. M. Freeman, T. J. Hufty, C. F. Hart, A. Johnsten, J. W. Lyons, Wm. Merritt, E. S. Nichols, H. A. Perry, L. W. Sandord, D. W. Titus, J. F. Toomey, Joseph Clark, C. H Burkick, William Groves.

Among those connected with the order at this place during later years are: W. W. Anderson, H. S. Arnold, C. E. Braznell, J. E. Barry, W. R. Beatty, O. J. Cole, R. G. Dunsmore, A. . Fell, W. E. S. Gibson, William Holloway, Dan Lynch, Eugene McCarth, R. B. Miller, L. H. Nolan, C F. Scott, C. E. Scott, Dan Scott, George B. Stowers, George Tremblett, Thomas Trainor, Ed G. Workman, J. C. Stevens, F. L. Northup, Geo. W. Bracy, J. L. Boggess, E. W. Burch, L. W. Vadney, P. G. Deyo, T. R. Sullivan, V. M. Crowder, F. E. Knight, C. B. Knight, E. J. Grady, H. J. Hille.

The present officials of this Division are A. J. Fell, Chief Conductor (4th term); W. E. S. Gibson, Secretary and Treasurer (4th term); H. S. Arnold, Assistant Chief Conductor.
Good Hope Council No. 41, Junior Order American Mechanics, was organized August 28, 1893. There are about 50 members in good standing. The present officers are: H. Windsor, Councilor; J. F. Sitton, Vice Councilor; John T. Shaw, Recording Secretary, W. L. Riddle, Financial Secretary and Treasurer; W. Wasson, Conductor; Robert Benner, Warden; B. F. Eddy, Inside Sentinel; George Champion, Outside Sentinel; W. G. Alberts, Jr., P.C.. Trustees, William Lawson, J. F. Sitton, Henry Windsor. Representative to State Council, John T. Shaw.
B. of L.E.
The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Division No. 220, was organized in 1883, and at the present time has 23 members. The first Chief Engineer was W. P. Strunk. The present officers are: E. H. Becraft, Chief Engineer; A. M. Hannaford, First Assistant; J. C. UpDegraff, Second Assistant and Treasurer.
Jacob Fry Post No 193, Grand Army of the Republic, has a membership of 35 and was organized in 1883. The first Post Commander was Samuel Carrico, now of Harper, Kansas. The present Post Commander is A. M. Hannaford; R. B. Holt, Adjutant.
Home Forum.
Home Forum Lodge No 139 was organized in March, 1894, and now has 22 members. The first President was R. E. Whitlock; Dr. G. F. B. Willard, Secretary and Medical Examiner; W. A. Thompson, Treasurer. The present officers are: W. L. Riddle, President; Andrew Watson, Vice President; J. O. Lorton, Secretary; W. A. Thompson, Treasurer.
Daughters of Rebekah.
Adell Rebekah Degree Lodge No. 148, I.O.O.F., was organized March 13, 1893, A. Hatfield being instrumental in getting the lodge started. The membership is 13 and the present officers are: Alice McIver, N. G.; Emma Vansickle, V. G.; Bell Short, Chaplain; Mary Conlee, Treasurer; Lily A. Milton, Secretary.
Royal Neighbors of America.
The Royal Neighbors of America, Lodge No. 318, was organized April 23, 1896. Clara Arnold is Oracle and Amelia Cobaugh, Recorder.
Rathbone Sisters.
Temple No. 37, Rathbone Sisters was organized October 15, 1895. The officers are: Libbie Davis, Most Excellent Chief of Temple; Lizzie Peters, Manager; Clara Teeple, Protector; Mattie Bundy, Senior; Effie Hanks, Mistress of Records and Correspondence; Caroline Woodman, Guard Outer Temple; Martha Slaten, Excellent Junior of Temple; Ella Morrow, Mistress of Finance; Mattie Briggs, Past Most Excellent Chief of Temple.

Transcribed 25 Oct 2006 by Linda Jones Craig

Note: Pages 12 – 15 were missing from the book. Also, the biographies extracted from this book are available in the Biographies section of this website.

Templates in Time